Camp Cooking: Easy Stress Free Meals

Camp Cooking: Easy Stress Free Meals


Let me first start off with saying we rank Exploring first- Food a distant second.  Haha this means, we tend to leave camp early and come back late, and with 2 kids who have been running around all day, they need something to eat and they need something FAST. How do I keep my sanity, you ask?  My secret is PREP.  I prep before we even leave the house.  I like to go ahead and precook any raw food so I don't have to mess with cross contamination at camp, and it makes cooking so much faster.

For example: Fajitas.  I go ahead and cook the chicken, vegetables, and onions at home in the seasoning.  Then I vacuum seal them, so when dinner time is here, guess what I have to do?? BOIL WATER and throw the bag in.  THAT IS IT!  Then all we have to do is grab our tortillas, some sour cream, cheese (that yes, I already shredded at home and put in a bag), and build our fajitas.  Did you catch the other amazing thing? No dirty scorched pan to scrub!  The fajitas are already in the bag, so when we're done, we just toss it out.  We use plastic plates that need to be washed, but if you would like no dishes, use paper plates.    It is that simple.  

That is my kind of cooking.  

Now it does take me a few days to prep for a big trip.  I will let y'all know how I organize myself on what I need to cook, what I need to buy, and what I need to pack in a later post.  But the prep work makes for a relaxing camp experience. 

I feel like so many people get overwhelmed with camping, with meals being a big contributor to that. They try to make these amazing gourmet meals that you make at home.  Why? Leave those for weekends at home.  Don't bring them to camp and stress about it. 1. You have to pack your whole kitchen, and 2. You're stuck at camp for hours.  

Don't get us wrong we can appreciate a good, well cooked meal, especially when we can smell them around camp, but that is something I try to get away from when I'm out here. So we look for something quick, easy and, delicious. 

We also come from a backpacking background and now that we have kids we do a lot of primitive camping (no running water/hookups) so that doesn't allow us to be able to wash dishes very easily unless we bring our own water.  So I like to plan meals that take little or no washing. You like the sound of that, don't ya??



GLEN CANYON - LAKE POWELL UTAH



Here are a few of the Lostetter Camp Classics:

Pita Bread Pizza
Sundried Tomato Pasta - sundried tomatos, pasta, fresh parmesean, and herbs
Sweet Pork Nachos with all the fixins'
Fajitas- 
Pulled Pork Burritos or Sandwiches

Breakfast Burritos with eggs, bacon/sausage, hashbrowns, cheese
Soup & Grilled Cheese
and of course the classic Hot Dogs!

We will do individual videos on all of these to explain how we do things, but of course if you don't want to wait, feel free to ask us now in the comments below.


Here is video of one we did in Glen Canyon outside of Lake Powell, UT.  
MAKING PIZZAS!!


Comments

Popular Posts